The Four Elements Of Bending Reviews: "The Four Elements Of Bending is a pawesome story blog. It's like a real book and is better than some I have read." -Elizabeth Orr

Monday, May 26, 2014

Chapter 40: The Stone Wall

The next day, everyone was outside eating breakfast. Some were about to go out hunting or patrolling, others were planning on training in the yard. A lot of animals were eating the plentiful food - but with white-earth on its way, the prey wouldn't be as common as it was at the moment. But we have good hunters, Ash kept telling himself. He watched as the animals all talked in groups around the yard; they were like Ash's family, The Bending Tower. They'd took him in, trained him and now he was leading them.
I wonder if Misty-- Ash stopped himself. It was a question he asked quite often: would Misty, Ash's daughter, ever become leader of The Bending Tower one day? She can't. She's gone, and I'll never see her again, Ash thought sadly. Same with Adele...
"Hi," said a voice Ash recognized. He turned as Airia came up and sat beside him, hugging him with her right wing.
"Hi," Ash replied.
"Are you doing okay?" Airia asked.
"Why wouldn't I be?" Ash frowned, looking at Airia.
She held his gaze. "You know why."
Ash sighed. He had tried acting brave about the situation of his two only daughters being missing, but truthfully he was devastated. "Yeah..."
"Look. We'll be fine," Airia insisted. "Adele and Misty, wherever they are...I-I'm sure they're okay."
It seemed as though Airia didn't even believe her own words. Ash shook his head. "I can't believe we're replacing them."
"It's necessary," Airia replied. "I explained why."
"I know. It just feels...wrong," Ash admitted.
Airia put her tail around Ash's shoulders. "Well...see you around."
She padded for The Bending Tower.
Ash watched Airia go, and as soon as she entered The Bending Tower, Bracken ran out. "I'M THE OTHER!" he shouted, but then halted, stumbled and collapsed.
"How many times has he done this?" Eclipse fretted, running over to Bracken. She was quickly followed by Audrey - Eclipse had been trying to cure Audrey's anxiety, and every meal time was when Eclipse worked with the young collie. "Bracken? Wake up," Eclipse urged, pushing the bobcat with her paw.
Bracken scurried to his paws. "I am fine, thank you!" Bracken growled.
He must be getting better, Ash realized, he's starting to talk normally. He watched as Bracken and Eclipse talked back and forth - Bracken growling, looking bitter, and Eclipse looking as though she was fighting to stay calm. Wait...he must know where Misty and Adele are!
Ash ran over to Bracken. "Bracken!"
"I'm not Bracken," Bracken growled. "I'm--"
Suddenly, Bracken froze and collapsed once more.
"Get up," Eclipse said to him.
Bracken slowly collected himself. "Right...What do you want...um, Ash?"
Well then, he's not completely better, Ash told himself, noticing Bracken's strange act. "Bracken, I want to know...where are Misty and Adele?"
"Who?" Bracken echoed.
"Misty and Adele," Ash echoed. "My daughters."
Bracken snorted. "Who cares?"
Ash froze. Normally, all he could ever hear Bracken talk about was how Misty was his best friend. Bracken's traumatized, Ash reminded himself. He's not going to be completely normal. "I do," Ash murmured.
"Well, I don't know where your precious daughters are, so suck it up," Bracken hissed.
"Maybe Bracken hit his head," Eclipse suggested. "Usually a personality change can be caused by being hit in the head."
"I did not hit my head," Bracken snorted. "I am perfectly okay."
"What do you remember?" Ash pressed.
"In the very beginning, I came from the shadows," Bracken responded. "Very rare time when we get to come out. Then I was consulted. Given a task. And now I'm here."
Ash frowned. That made no sense.
"Bracken..." Ash began. He decided to ask Bracken a question only the real Bracken would know. "Where did I find you?"
"I don't know," Bracken growled. "Now shut up, and if you'll excuse me, I need to go do...stuff."
Bracken trotted off.
"Strange," Eclipse commented. "Must be really badly traumatized."
"...I don't think he's traumatized," Ash insisted, shaking his head slowly. "That's...not the real Bracken."
Eclispe's blind blue eyes stared at Ash in wonder. "What...?"
"Look. I think I should talk to the Peacebenders. They'll let me know what is going on," Ash nodded. "I'll see you later."
Ash left Eclipse, trotting inside The Bending Tower. He headed up the steps and walked into his own room - the leader's room. He walked in a circle and closed his eyes. Peacebenders, please come to me...


When Ash awoke, his vision was blurry. He blinked his eyes and realized he was in a small room. In front of him was a huge, stone wall. Otherwise, the room was made of wood. "Hello?" Ash asked, looking around. Why would the Peacebenders summon me here? He asked himself. He began to call the names of Peacebenders who frequently visited him. "Feather? Susan? Goldwing?"
"Ash!"
The voice pierced Ash's ear. It was loud and pleading. "Hello?!"
"ASH!"
The sound was coming from the other side of the stone wall. "Who's there?"
"ASH! ASH! ASH!"
"WHO IS THERE?" Ash shouted.
"ASH! ASH! ASH!"
This voice was joined by another one. "ASH!"
Then another. "ASH! ASH! ASH!"
Soon, there were hundreds of voices calling Ash's name. He ducked down, covering his ears as the sounds overwhelmed him.
"ASH! ASH! ASH! ASH! ASH! ASH!"


Ash darted awake. Why didn't the Peacebenders visit me? he wondered, slowly getting to his paws.
Frequent earthquakes. Misty and Adele gone. A fake Bracken visiting The Bending Tower. The Peacebenders unreachable.
Something is terribly, terribly wrong...

Author's Note:
Sorry I didn't update in a while! But I'm currently at a beach house in Florida posting this. :) I'll have a lot of time to post chapters though, on the bright side. So expect another chapter soon. At least, I hope so...

And check the TFEOB Blog, please! Link on my profile.

3 comments:

  1. It's ok it is out of your abilities to do it at the moment just try your best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot the two stones got destroyed now he cant bend nor talk to the old people

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHHHHHHH
    I think I may know what's going on c:<

    ReplyDelete

Please, no rude comments, or that "magician" is going to return to set your house on fire. Again. Honestly, he has nothing better to do...